This Teachers' English language course prepares you for the Cambridge Teaching Knowledge Test – the test from the University of Cambridge designed especially for teachers of English, to speakers of other languages.
- The English language teaching course concentrates on the study of "teaching knowledge" - it is not a practical course and so there is no actual teaching involved, although course participants will have the opportunity to observe Wimbledon School of English teachers. It is ideal for those who have recently started teaching or are considering it as a career, but it is also useful for experienced teachers
- The English language teaching course covers a variety of concepts related to language, language use and the background to and practice of language learning and teaching. It is divided into three modules
Module one: Language and background to teaching and learning
- Describing language and language skills
- Background to language learning
Module two: Lesson planning and resources for the language teacher
- Planning and preparing a lesson or sequence of lessons
- Selection and use of resources and materials
Module three: Managing the teaching and learning process
- Teachers' and Learners' language in the classroom
- Classroom management
You can choose to take a written examination, the Cambridge TKT, at the end of the course. You will also be asked to keep a portfolio during your course but this does not form part of your assessment. You need to have at least a good intermediate level of English to take this course and you should be familiar with basic concepts and language related to language teaching. This course follows our standard timetable of 24 lessons per week/20 hours per week.
The fee for the Paper-Based Teaching Knowledge Test (per module) is £51.